Roda Law, LLC’s attorneys handle cases involving defective and unsafe motor vehicle design, and inadequate passenger protection in vehicles.
Case Study: Defective Vehicle Design
- In one case, a car with only 5,000 miles on it suddenly veered into the opposite lane and was hit by an oncoming car, resulting in the death of a mother and daughter in the car that veered.
- That car was found to have a fracture in its right rear axle, about six inches from the right rear wheel.
- The issue in the case was whether the axle fractured before the veer, because the axle was defective, or whether the axle fractured as a result of the broadside collision.
- Mr. Roda, with the help of the top accident reconstruction experts in the country, demonstrated to the jury that the crash could not have caused the fractured axel, and that the design of the car was defective.
- The case went to trial, and resulted in a verdict that found the axle defective.
Case Study: SUV Rollover Lawsuit
- An SUV rolled over after a broadside collision, resulting in the deaths of two girls, and devastating injuries to a third, all of whom were in the “optional” third row seat of the SUV.
- The families of two of the girls, represented by Mr. Roda, sued the manufacturer of the SUV for unsafe design features of the third row seat, including:
- Inadequate head protection for passengers
- Roof pillars that were too weak
- A seat and floor design that put a passenger at risk of “submarining” under the lap belt, and sustaining serious to abdominal and internal injuries in a collision.
- In preparing for the case, Mr. Roda and his team reviewed 25,000 documents from the manufacturer of the SUV, which showed that the manufacturer knew the third row seat was “compromised” in its design.
- To prove the defects in the design of the third row seat, Mr. Roda retained experts in seat design, passenger headroom, passenger restraint systems, accident reconstruction, and roof strength.
- One case settled just before trial, and the other after three weeks of trial, just before the jury was to return its verdict, which they told the lawyers afterward would have been in favor of the injured girl and against the maker of the SUV.
Roda Law, LLC’s attorneys are experienced with cases involving inadequate passenger protection in vehicles. One such case involved an SUV that rolled over after a broadside collision, resulting in the deaths of two girls, and devastating injuries to a third, all of whom were in the third row seat of the SUV. The families of two of the girls, represented by Mr. Roda, sued the manufacturer of the SUV for designing the third row seat with unsafe head protection for passengers, roof pillars that were too weak, and seat design that put passengers in an unsafe position, which made them vulnerable to abdominal injuries in a collision. One case settled before trial, and the other after three weeks of trial.